The Square Blue Rug | Exploits of an Amateur Dog Trainer: Blog Edition

Translate To Your Language

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Square Blue Rug

I'm trying to think of things to do with the blue rug I had bought for him some time earlier. At first, he was
using it as part of where he laid in my room, but now that his new bed is there and the rug moved to the floor in front of his crate, I'm trying to think of new things to do with it.

Right now, I'm shaping him to sit and lay on it, and he got the idea pretty fast. But I wonder if that's all we can do with it. Perhaps I should see what else he comes up with. Maybe leave something he can pick up near by and see if he thinks of anything.

Or perhaps take what he's doing now and playing some sort of game where he needs to get on the rug to win. Things like that have always helped him. I think first I need to teach him what that's called (put a name to the behavior we've shaped), and then start to use that to play the game, helping him learn both the new cue as well as make the rug more important and rewarding for him to be on and get on.

Sounds like a good idea for next Monday, actually. Certainly can do that in an all-positive way.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog via the Daily Puppy; they pick up some of my blogs and yours about Wally getting up on your back was next to mine. Looking forward to reading more! (He's very cute, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Louise!

    Awesome - I'm glad you came by to visit. I will have to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Link to your site through your profile so that your user name leads to your site - please do not include links to your site in the comments - and only put dog training links in the comment to keep things on topic.