"All-Positive Monday" IV | Exploits of an Amateur Dog Trainer: Blog Edition

Translate To Your Language

Monday, April 4, 2011

"All-Positive Monday" IV

The fourth "All-Positive Monday" included the color training as planned. We did some more reviewing mentioned in this post with a little more added challenge in that I bypassed the showing him the color. I just went straight to putting the flashcard somewhere, and telling him "azul" and he had to go find it and touch it (or bring it back). I believe he's getting the idea of the name as there were times where I put it almost right under him (he couldn't see it and didn't think to look under his own body) and he was looking around in previous locations for the card, scanning for the card. When he found it, he moved quickly to it. I think this is a good sign of progress. I also introduced the card being attached to an object at about eye level and continued to reward him touching the object, creating another little twist and another way to get him familiar to how the card might be presented.

Doing this kind of work with him might have shown me one place where going all positive reinforcement could be easily viable - creating associations. In this case, it's between a familiar object (blue flashcard) and a name ("azul"). Creating the initial attraction/attention on the object also was nothing but positive reinforcement. Basically, just marking and rewarding any attention he pays to the object and I let him just go with it in terms of how he wanted to interact. The other association case I can think of is connecting a name or signal to an existing behavior. For example, during "touch" training, Wally would reliably offer putting his nose on the object. Just before he completes the behavior (before the nose hits the object), I would say "touch", then mark when the nose hits the object and give a reward.

Then of course, there's the "charging the marker" which is creating that first association that the click (or whatever reward marker(s) you choose to teach) signals that the dog earned a coming reward.

It may be time to give "azul" a bit of a break and start introducing "amarillo", the yellow flashcard. Or perhaps I'll try transfering "azul" from 'off the flashcard' and onto a blue object, and have him retrieve it by it's color - well, that might be too ambitious, but the card maybe could be mixed in with another object, increasing the challenge a little more. We'll see. Part of me wants to let "azul" rest for a few days to settle in his brain. As always, thoughts are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am also an "amateur dog trainer" of sorts. I found a puppy (starving and sick, so sad) almost 4 weeks ago now, and brought him home. I love him so much, and I want him to be the best behaved dog he can be when he grows up, so that means TONS of training and work now, mixed in with all the fun. My little buddy's name is Dexter, and he's a Beagle/Rottweiler mix (at least that's what we think, since he won't tell us!)and he is so eager to please and eager to learn. Now that he's healthy, safe and happy, he's really let his personality come out! We do lots of positive training, but some corrective also. I've really enjoyed reading about your fun with Wally, and thought I might recommend a few books! The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison is a really great read, since it explains the essentials of the positive approach, in a fun, lighthearted and easy-to-read way. Also, Beyond Fetch: Fun, Interactive Activities for You and Your Dog by D. Caroline Coile is really great and creative, and I think it might help you find Wally a job.

    Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with Wally, and will continue to read your great blog!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lilly,

    Thanks for the comment and the book recommendations! I will definitely check them out. Especially "Beyond Fetch" because I have never heard that title or author until today! New exposure to books is always good :)

    It's so great that you're helping Dexter. Dogs with hard pasts need someone to put time into them and it sounds like you're doing great. Wally's had his share of misfortunes in the past - so I always like to hear about people taking in those dogs and giving them a new outlook on life. It's so rewarding to see them change right before your eyes, isn't it? Especially knowing that it was you that helped spark it.

    Thanks again for your comment, recommendations, and compliment on my blog! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

Link to your site through your profile so that your user name leads to your site - please do not include links to your site in the comments - and only put dog training links in the comment to keep things on topic.