"All-Positive Monday" II | Exploits of an Amateur Dog Trainer: Blog Edition

Translate To Your Language

Monday, March 21, 2011

"All-Positive Monday" II

Is it Monday yet?
It's Monday again, so time for another attempt at an "all-positive" day. Like last Monday, Wally will get a reward and/or praise for everything he does, barring any safety,etc behaviors that can't be rewarded. Last time, there wasn't too much of a difference, so maybe this time, there will be more of an effect. If not, perhaps I can safely conclude my methods are "close enough" to where he just doesn't perceive any real switch in how I relate to him.

Of course, in regards to position, it will be more practice for me to be quick on the draw. Like if he's walking with me, catch him in heel position so I can reward him instead of when he's not in position and then I have to call him into position again. Things like that will improve my observation skills and awareness of him "offering" me or other objects behaviors.

Another thing that has me thinking is trying to come up with a "theme" for each day between Monday and Friday. The weekends he usually gets "off" where we don't do any training. Kind of a time for him just to unwind and process the week before. Usually. Sometimes (okay, often!) I can't help myself. I guess I enjoy training him and he certainly perks up when he senses a training session is going on. While I don't need the clicker all the time, he definitely will perk up if I grab it! I think he knows what that means!

I don't know what I'll come up with, and if there's any suggestions, feel free to let me know what's on your mind! In fact, do that anyway, let me know what you think and any suggestions. I'm all ears and will listen to any feedback. Or perhaps I should say, I'm all nose and will sniff any feedback since we're talking about dogs and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link to your site through your profile so that your user name leads to your site - please do not include links to your site in the comments - and only put dog training links in the comment to keep things on topic.